“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.” -Marianne Williamson
Chances are you’ve heard this famous quote (or a variation of it) at some point in your life. If you haven’t, you’re welcome! 🙂 It’s a good one.
But did you know there is more to it…
“We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Letting our own light shine in a world where we are constantly bombarded with messages to fit in, to go with the flow, to not be loud, or speak our minds is extremely scary. And beyond scary, when you don’t have a full grasp on who you are, how the heck does one go about shining?
Before I answer that, I want you to know that I’ve struggled immensely with the Disease to Please. A condition defined as making your own light a little dim so others feel more comfortable.
If you’ve ever experienced situations where you felt like you had to hide how you were feeling in order to be liked or felt unable to share your true opinions and beliefs about something; recognize this is the disease!
If you’ve experienced a big win but felt too scared to share it with others because of feelings of not wanting to come across as braggy; recognize this is the disease!
Any time you run the question, “What will they think?” through your mind; recognize this is the disease!
The great news: this disease is not terminal. Full recovery is possible. It will take some work but it’s worth it.
3 Ways to Help You Shine
- Use Your Voice
- Even when it comes to the smallest details, recognize it matters. If you don’t like something and someone suggests it, let them know. If suggestions are asked for, speak up, and share your thoughts. By learning to use your voice for the small things, you gain the courage to use it for the things that matter. Your light gets brighter each time you do and you discover more about yourself along the way.
- Push Through Fear
- Let’s face it! Life can be scary. Going after anything we desire ALWAYS carries with it some degree of fear. Whether that be a job interview, going to college, starting a business, dating, marriage, having a family…you get the gist, there is fear! Pressing into the fear and showing up despite it lights that flame even more. As you begin to experience those tiny wins your confidence grows and the cycle continues.
- Feed The Mind
- The conscious mind makes up 5% of our thoughts throughout the day. The remaining 95% is our subconscious habits that dictate our behavior and overpower those conscious thoughts in most cases. This explains why you may feel frustrated after attempting to “change” yourself. Those patterns run deep and often times what ends up happening is we get caught in this insidious loop and nothing changes. So how can this be overcome? By feeding the mind every. single. day. Meditations, Personal Development Books, Inspiring Podcasts, Uplifting Music, and Mentors/Coaches help feed the mind positivity and change the narrative of the subconscious over time.
I’m happy to report that by implementing these things in my life consistently, I’m in recovery and the prognosis is excellent. 🙂 ❤
Let’s heal and LIGHT up the world, together!